CITY OF BELLBROOK, OHIO

HOME    ·  SITEMAP    ·   CONTACT US

Fire Department
About the Department
The Bellbrook Fire Department is a combination Fire and EMS department with full-time, part-time and volunteer staff.  The department serves a community of 7,000 residents from two fire stations.  Services include fire prevention, emergency medical service, hazardous material response, search and rescue, and disaster assistance. 
History of Bellbrook Fire Department 

The Bellbrook Fire Department can trace its roots back to 1836 when the village council ordered John R. Dinwiddle be allocated $23.00 for the purchase of fire hooks, ropes, and ladders. The equipment was housed at the Methodist Church at the corner of East Franklin and East Streets and was ready for use at a moment’s notice.

In 1919, a fire destroyed eight buildings in the northwest corner of what is now the intersection of Main and Franklin Streets. Four years later, the village purchased its first fire engine: a 3-gallon portable chemical fire engine mounted on a cart. The engine was pulled by horses or several men. Eight years later, the village authorized the purchase of the city's first motorized fire engine.

The Sugarcreek-Bellbrook Fire Department was organized in 1949, with Howard Penewit at the helm as the department's chief. The department quickly took shape with the construction of a new fire station downtown and the purchase of new equipment.

The department has continuously updated its equipment and facilities. The department added a fire station at the corner of North Linda Drive and West Franklin Street in 1972, and another at the corner of East and East Franklin Streets in 1982.

Township residents filed a petition in 1987 to remove the city from the township, which forced the department to divide not only personnel, but resources and equipment as well. The Bellbrook Fire Department was born, retaining the station at 4254 W. Franklin Street.

The city operated an additional station after an addition to the service department building was completed in 1992. The station moved to its current location, 35 N. West Street, in 1996 when the city procured and renovated a commercial structure at that location.

 

Bellbrook Fire Chiefs:

Chief Howard Penewit

Chief Leo Schlater

Chief Sylvester Stanley

Chief Joseph Knopp

Chief Scott Hall

Chief James Neidhard

Chief Anthony Bizzarro

Stations


The City of Bellbrook Fire Department operates two fire stations to provide faster response times throughout the city.

Fire Station #1
35 North West Street
Bellbrook, Ohio 45305

- Fire Administration offices
- Open during the workweek

Fire Station #2
4254 West Franklin Street
Bellbrook, Ohio 45305

- Open 24 hours a day
- Houses overnight staff
- Training room
Services
  • Fire Suppression
  • Fire Prevention and Public Education
  • Emergency Medical Service
  • Rescue Service
  • Business and Residential Fire Inspections
  • Reflective Green Address Signs
  • CPR & First Aid Classes
  • EMS Coverage for Sporting Events
  • Bi-Annual Blood Drives
  • Block Party Community Visits

Questions or comments?  Not sure who to contact?  Submit your question or comment here.

Official Website of Bellbrook, Ohio Copyright ©  2018. All rights reserved.

powered by  ezTaskTitanium  TM